[plug] Buying a laptop

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 11 13:32:23 WST 2005

I like Dells's, 3 work over the last few years (one a hand me on) and
another one for my wife.  Little style, clunky but works well, solid and
value for money.  I wont be buying another tho.

The last one was bought after Dell moved support o'seas. Even trying to
speak to an asian with reasonable language skills was "difficult" on a
simple purchase with no problems to discuss.  When I started researching
this, I found literally heaps of dell support horror stories, including
one in Perth where they had to drag senior management in to threaten a
large purchase contract before they could get past the support drones
for a common HD failure.  Now I dread the thought that if my wifes
machine ever develops a problem during the supposed support period, I
may be on my own ...

So the question I would ask - does IBM have local support and
*contacts*.

BillK