[plug] Buying a laptop

Daniel Pearson gpearson at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 11 23:18:01 WST 2005

Dell certainly are great value for money, which is why you'll see a huge
difference in price for the same thing from IBM. Try googling the dell
model number, to see what kind of support it has.

The CPU you'll go for, depends on what you want to use the machine for.
If you want great battery life, and nice built in wireless etc - go the
centrino. If its a desktop replacement, go for the P4 or AMD.

Cheers

Benjamin Woods wrote:

> Sounds like IBM is the way to go if he gets us a good deal?
>
> He doesnt work for IBM.
> He works for Moncreif... which sell IBM.
> He spoke to his manager who said that any good deals they are getting
> as a company they will sell to us at their cost price (we are GOOD
> friends!).
>
> It depends though... I really do like the idea of a 17" wide screen!
>
> But it MUST be linux supported! (I am formatting straight after i get
> it!).
>
> I will smack Slackware 10.1 on it, and upgrade to current! Booyah!
>
> I checked out an IBM T Series with similar specs and it cost $5700!
> How could he possible get us a deal even close to that price for the
> dell?
> I expect $4000 would be the absolute best!?
> Still waiting to see...
>
> One more question: Intel Centrino M processor 2.0 Ghz or Intel Pentium
> 4 3.6 GHz? or even AMD?
> What are your opinions?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> From: Benjamin Woods
> woodsb02 at iinet.net.au
> Registered Linux User #372573

*Daniel Pearson
*Flashware Solutions ABN 58 438 456 919
Mob: 0438 118 897  |  Email: daniel at flashware.net
<mailto:daniel at flashware.net>

The information contained in this electronic transmission is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, use of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact Flashware
Solutions 0438 118 897.