[plug] Mepis blues

chriswhittaker chriswhittaker at smartchat.net.au
Wed Jul 13 19:42:29 WST 2005

Hello ,

I have been struggling with Linux for nearly 2 years . That,s not fair I
have been striving to maximise the offerings that Linux provides however
when I finally finds a distro that I can understand ie Mepis it lets me down
. Not once or twice but often.

For some reason I get it running brilliantly , the system is updated , I add
new apps like gnu-gnutella, synaptic,alsa player, totem, sound card
configured Use Xine all the trimmings and it runs fine . No issues then for
no reason Grub poops itself.

I have reloaded the distro I have at least 5 times over the past 4 months
and for some reason it will run brilliantly time and again then it starts to
throw up error messages during the grub boot stage "error 17".

Why , all I want is the freedom to use a distro and my computer to the best
advantage , I don,t write code , I subscribe to all the right issues like
no software patents", I don't hack my machine . I even load it on its own
hard drive not a shared one with windoze.

And all I get is error 17 , theres 17 errors on grub ??? and i get them
all???.Please help me before I do something I will regret , I am mere flesh
and blood , I have my whole life before me and I do not want to do the
ultimate act. I search myself...why me ..'m a good person ..i have tried to
learn the file names , I have used RPM , I try to understand Debian, i
learnt how to configure  - make  - make install. I even subscribe to Linux
Format magazine.

But I still get Grub error 17

Please dont make me go back to XP I couldnt stand it , I have to use it at work  I don't want to use it  at home  ,,PPPPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEAAAASEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEEEEEEEELP MEEEE