[plug] Buying a laptop

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Jul 15 00:42:01 WST 2005

Happy 21st, mine was on the 11th (too old to tell).
Anyway I've always bought IBM since many moon ago and have never been disappointed with the system.  Question you need to ask is which one has the features you'll use.  Why pay for something that you will never use or have no need.  Also as for as reliability, how will being without it (because of repairs) affect you?  lastly what can you afford.
Personally, I've never had and still don't have much faith in Dell systems, too much cheap junk and they always seems to fail.  Client purchased several Dell units recently and had to have the Dell technician in a couple of times already.

Keep something in mind with IBM and that is they have good support for the Linux OS, not sure of what Dell offers.

JLM

>>> woodsb02 at iinet.net.au 1:08:32 pm 11/07/2005 >>>
Hey guys,

I am buying a new laptop for my 21st birthday (yesterday).

         IBM has a record for higher quality but at expense of $$$!

Dell Laptop:
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_Q2_W11_2005-
07-09_inspn_9300_M510729?c=au&l=en&s=dhs

Price: $3,073 ( minus $150 discount i get for working at Tyco)
CPU: Intel Centrino Mobile 2.0 GHz, 2Mb Cache, 533 FSB
RAM: 1 GHz
VIDEO: 256 Mb nVidia GeForce 6800
CD/DVD: 8X Max DVD+/-RW Combo Drive with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
SCREEN: 17" Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display (1920x1200 res)
NETWORK: 10/100 and 802.11g wireless
HDD: 100Gb

I know a guy that works for a IBM distributing company.
He is gonna come back with a price for us on an IBM laptop.
Dont know the specs on it yet.
He said we can get it for cost price... so i imagine it will be a similar
price as this Dell one.

What do you guys reckon of dell laptops in general?
Ibm?

Is the graphics card linux compatible?
Will need to recompile the kernel for nvidia?

cheers

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at iinet.net.au
Registered Linux User #372573