[plug] Buying a laptop

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 07:18:14 WST 2005

On 7/15/05, Jon  Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> wrote:
> Happy 21st, mine was on the 11th (too old to tell).
> Anyway I've always bought IBM since many moon ago and have never been disappointed with the system.  Question you need to ask is which one has the features you'll use.  Why pay for something that you will never use or have no need.  Also as for as reliability, how will being without it (because of repairs) affect you?  lastly what can you afford.
> Personally, I've never had and still don't have much faith in Dell systems, too much cheap junk and they always seems to fail.  Client purchased several Dell units recently and had to have the Dell technician in a couple of times already.
>
> Keep something in mind with IBM and that is they have good support for the Linux OS, not sure of what Dell offers.
>

> JLM

I too haven't got much faith in Dell.
<rant> I have worked in a few large environments that use Dell, and
the 2 hours it takes to make a service call is ridiculous (only slight
exageration). When you finally get off hold you go through the same
crap.. have you done this, that and the other. (I remember calling
saying the hard disk  isn't detecting and they wanted me to try some
diagnostics on the harddisk - obviously they didn't work) Then they
nag you about some survey that might happen (worse with laptops). Then
you get a survey in the email, and a call if you don't fill it in.
Sorry if it sounds bitchy, but when you have to do this several times
a month it gets annoying </rant>