[plug] Linux on Laptops

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jul 15 15:47:13 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 07:36 +0000, simon wrote:
> Mark B (mark at tophits.com.au) wrote:
> > to those apple critics, try it and atleast learn something about it, then
> > make your opinion, you will find that you can do everything you can do under
> > linux.
>
> Are there actually any Apple critics here?

*raises hand*

I just outlined some of my reasons in response to Mark B's
recommendation. Mac OS X is nice, but it's not UNIX, and it's not
actually good for everything that one might need a UNIX system for.

It also gives you much less control over your working environment, and
you're very much tied to Apple's thinking about how things should be
done, and what you should be able to do.

It's good for some folks, just not everybody, and I wish the Mac Brigade
would stop trumpeting on about how it's a better UNIX than UNIX.

--
Craig Ringer