[plug] Linux on Laptops

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Jul 15 17:21:36 WST 2005

/me wades into the fray...

<background ignore="true">
I'm currently using a Cappuccino PC running Debian. It has suited me
well and has done its job admirably. However I've been looking around
for something that requires less work to get going every time I move
around and if I can carry it to a client, all the better. Something that
doesn't sound like a jet taking off would be good. A lap-top seemed to
me to be the best compromise and I've been looking for one of those for
a few months now.

Being an Apple user from back in 1984, I have still got a PowerBook 1400
which does its job well, but it's getting a little long in the tooth now
and running MacOS 8.6 is a little frustrating at times. The LCD panel
back lighting seems to have died recently, so really it appears that
it's time to give up on it.

All this in the way of some background.
</background>

I have drooled over Apple's offering but I am concerned about a number
of issues:

    * Open Source it is not.
    * Apple updates appear to suck according to regular accounts I'm
      reading on another list.
    * The GUI that I loved under "Classic" is gone, to be replaced by a
      colour orgasm that has me frothing at the mouth. I don't know if
      this GUI can be customised back to something saner that doesn't
      require me to remember what each coloured ball means and has the
      close box in the top left and the maximise in the top right.
    * While I'm not adverse to paying for software, I find it a little
      rich that updates cost $200 each six to ten months and that
      support costs extra.

Now some would note that I could run Debian on an Apple and that idea is
tempting, even more so with the idea that Apple will be moving to x86
sometime next year or so. I would get the nice Apple hardware and Debian
in one package.

However, it is more and more apparent to me that hardware support for
things like power, wireless, modems, etc. is not quite as good as it
should be, that is, (completely) lacking.

The more I think about this, the more I lean toward a laptop that runs
Debian with no problems, has hardware support for all of its features
and has a manufacturer that isn't Linux antagonistic.

Now, to be fair, realistically, I really only need a good editor, a
collection of web-browsers, apache, mysql, php, CVS and a CVS client. An
excellent mail client is essential, and a DVD burner would be good. A
screen resolution no smaller than 1024 x 768, but preferably larger. The
Linux thing is useful because I take command line for granted, use cron,
grep and locate a zillion times a day, but I don't really need Linux for
that.

I think about IBM Thinkpads a fair amount and like the idea that HP
employs one (or more) of the senior Debian developers.

Where does this leave me in this fracas?

Still no closer to buying a laptop, but happily reading the
contributions to this thread.

Keep it up!

--
Onno Benschop
Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
|>>?          ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..
Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony Central,
Dalcon
ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno at itmaze.com.au