[plug] Buying a laptop

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Fri Jul 15 18:11:34 WST 2005

<snip>
> I too haven't got much faith in Dell.
> <rant> I have worked in a few large environments that use
> Dell, and the 2 hours it takes to make a service call is
> ridiculous (only slight exageration). When you finally get
> off hold you go through the same crap.. have you done this,
> that and the other. (I remember calling saying the hard disk
> isn't detecting and they wanted me to try some diagnostics on
> the harddisk - obviously they didn't work) Then they nag you
> about some survey that might happen (worse with laptops).
> Then you get a survey in the email, and a call if you don't
> fill it in.
> Sorry if it sounds bitchy, but when you have to do this
> several times a month it gets annoying </rant>

<Looks through previous e-mails>

At the bottom of every *Customer Care* e-mail, should be the following
:-
"Tell Dell how I am doing....please email any comments or feedback on my
performance to xxxxxxxx at dell.com"

After the third e-mail, a very visible CC (headers and at the top of the
e-mail) to the person above gets action straight away.
We had an incident with a LCD screen that had a cracked LCD layer, but
their initial tech figured I meant scratched - meaning they wanted to
know how it got a scratch this long after we'd received the goods
(school rollouts during holidays)

All sorted quickly in the end, and we ended up with an extra LCD due to
this and another fault taking a while.

Call Centre e-mails (the initial e-mails) don't have anything like this
at the bottom of their e-mails...

Craig Foster
RedHat Certified Engineer
craig at fostware.net