[plug] Network Opinions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 18 11:47:48 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 11:33 +0800, Chris Watt wrote:

> What I want to happen is that one user will logs into a machine (any
> machine, I don't want them confined to a single point, I want them to
> be able to have the same access and settings and desktop and all that
> jazz whichever machine they log onto) they automatically get all that
> info I just mentioned, as well as somehow map the save point (i.e. My
> Docs) to the server, but without having a problem with network
> connectivity dropping out and causing it to freeze the folder mapped
> to the server is still open.

Use an NT domain.

> I want the Fileserver to act as a DHCP server, serving out the range:
> 10.232.55.100-10.232.55.199

apt-get install dhcp3-server

or equivalent for your distro.

> I want each user to have different permissions.  i.e.  Group: users
> can access only their own files and the common area.
> Group:Administrators can access all files.

Samba can handle UNIX group -> NT domain group mappings for you. You can
also use an ACL-enabled filesystem for easier management (just be
careful, they're only easier if you're careful to document the ACLs and
keep them neat).

> I plan to administer via Webmin.

I always found it easier to handle the config files manually.

> Need a VPN setup for the Laptop to be able to use it from home over a
> DSL connection.

ssh, NX, openvpn, ipsec, the options are endless and there are a variety
of them depending on what exactly it is that you need.

--
Craig Ringer