[plug] Network Opinions

Chris Watt something.rotten at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 11:33:50 WST 2005

Hi Guys,  this is the overview of the network that I plan to
implement, I just want to find out now how and what we should be doing
to make this work.

Any questions I can probbably answer.  lso, if you have a better
collution, do tell

Midway Community Care Network
Quick Overview:
There are two servers that control the network.  The first is a
webserver (which sits directly behind the router and is the first
firewall) and the second is the internal fileserver which will have no
open ports (save 5060 (i think) for VoIP).  Each users PC will be
connected to a switch which will be connected to the fileserver.

What I want it to do:
What I want to happen is that one user will logs into a machine (any
machine, I don't want them confined to a single point, I want them to
be able to have the same access and settings and desktop and all that
jazz whichever machine they log onto) they automatically get all that
info I just mentioned, as well as somehow map the save point (i.e. My
Docs) to the server, but without having a problem with network
connectivity dropping out and causing it to freeze the folder mapped
to the server is still open.

I want the Fileserver to act as a DHCP server, serving out the range:
10.232.55.100-10.232.55.199
I want each user to have different permissions.  i.e.  Group: users
can access only their own files and the common area.
Group:Administrators can access all files.

I plan to administer via Webmin.

Need a VPN setup for the Laptop to be able to use it from home over a
DSL connection.

Cheers
~Chris