[plug] Network Opinions

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:07:47 WST 2005

my 2c below in context

On 7/18/05, Chris Watt <something.rotten at gmail.com> wrote:
> Major reason we don't want to run a Windows Server is that it doesn't
> tend to have nice long uptimes and they tend to need looking after.
> Also, I'm not being responsible for the security on such a server, as
> I am just not confident in the platform at all (from experience).

Some of the Windows 2000 servers I manage have got to 120 days uptime,
without issues, with bugger all looking after. Windows 2003 is even
less of a problem. Usually I only reboot out of habit, not necessity.
I don't recommend you use Windows, this is just a comment.

> In saying that, I did look at that possibility but I just can't support it.
>
> I assume that each of the different modules you mentioned would have
> tutorials/howto's online that I could access.
>
> The servers will be running Ubuntu or some other Debian derived Linux
> (if not Debian).

Debian r0x0r ;) hehe

> I plan to administer my Webmin because I can do it from home then,
> rather than drive here, do work, and drive home without getting any
> cash for the trouble (I'll use some ssh, etc too).

You plan to open webmin to the world?
I hope you have a static IP and intend to atleast lock it down to only
your ip (and what ever internal hosts need it)
In my mind ssh and text files is a better option.