[plug] [OT] Google maps

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 22 11:13:32 WST 2005

I think there is the possibility of drilling down further once you reach
the limit of satellite maps - that is if a webcam, library photos or
similar at street level near the point you select it can be shown.
Think it is a service (paid) from a company in the US, and was being
looked at from a tourist point of view (locate and see famous
landmarks).

In Perth we have (had?, its gone quiet) the trial of street cameras
installed in light poles.  And main roads seems to have a lot of cameras
on main thoroughfares - it all adds up to being very 1984'ish.

Just takes access to the material and a smart web programmer to link it
all together and we could have (albeit partial) coverage now ...

BillK