[plug] Secure web site

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Jul 22 15:04:39 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 14:54, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Benjamin Woods wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > A friend of mine is setting up his own business and wants a website
> > which people can browse his products and buy them securely online.
>
> That I can help you with. Without wanting to make this into a sales
> pitch, the following sites are running ITemWeb, software I've written:
>
>     * http://www.wsc.org.au/
>     * http://www.bbfwa.asn.au/
>     * http://www.ductwork.com.au/
>

> > I suggested he might be able to do this buy setting up a linux server.
>
> Well, strictly speaking that is true. However if your friend isn't in
> the business of IT and you want to stay friends, then in my professional
> opinion your friend is better off spending actual money and paying a
> hosting company to deal with this.

Yes all to often someone has a great idea for an online business an
wants you to build their website for them at very little cost.

You gotta say hmmm.. "Lets see you want me to establish your
infrastructure so that you can receive a recurring income while I get a
bit of pocket money for helping you out"

Outline that you expect to get paid well for building, hosting and
managing it for them and in turn they can generate profits from the
system you have setup. If the returns won't allow both of you the earn
then maybe its not worth pursuing. You gotta be firm otherwise half the
IT industry ends up with people doing things cheap to get "more
experience"

regards,

Chris