[plug] Emulate Keyboard, Video, Mouse over USB (on Linux)

Matthew Lambie mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au
Tue Jul 26 12:12:45 WST 2005

Does anyone know if the following device exists:

Connect a cable which has KVM style plugs to the monitor, keyboard and
mouse outputs/inputs of a single target computer, and plug the other
(USB) end into a laptop. Open some software and have a VNC/KVM style
experience.

I hope my description makes sense.

I did find some discussion[1] by Craig Ringer, Leon Brooks and other
knowledgeable folks discussing similar requirements, and the use of
X/serial port might be useful for my specific requirements, though a box
that did this would be preferred.

I realise that video bandwidth is quite high, but there's video encoding
boxes available that take a video input, so I don't see how it would be
impossible.

Lastly, and keeping it on topic, I would need the device to work under
Linux.

1 -
http://shameless.plug.org.au/archives/message/20040623.004925.d6f221ea.html
--