[plug] Emulate Keyboard, Video, Mouse over USB (on Linux)

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 17:27:57 WST 2005

> I think your description makes sense, but is it practical ?
>
> The nearest thing I can think of that "might" suit your needs is a Belkin product available from
> Harris Technology.
>
> Description :
> ========
>
> Economy 2-port KVM with cables attached (2 metres) with USB and audio support.
>
> Features :
> =======
>
> Manual port selection - LED indicators - Video resolutions up to 2048 x 1536
>
> No power supply needed - Not OS specific
>
> Part No :                       F1DL102U
> ======
>
> Catalogue No :  N8931
> ===========
>
> Price :                         $85.00
> =====
>
> HTH
>
> Regards Arie

These things don't generally work on laptops (well atleast if you
intend to use the laptop to control the pc), and definately won't give
VNC style interaction (ie a window inside linux session).

There are however software solutions I read about a long time ago, and
I'm not currently near the magazines that the article was in (all
though I will be in an couple of hours or so) so I'm a bit rusty on
the details. Basically its a software kvm (so you'd need to install
the service on the device) and supported linux and doze IIRC. Ofcourse
this won't help until the OS (and service) is loaded.