[plug] Emulate Keyboard, Video, Mouse over USB (on Linux)

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Jul 27 08:55:20 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 13:29 +0800, Matthew Lambie wrote:
> > > 1 - http://www.realvnc.com/products/KVM-over-IP/
> > Your right that is pricey..
> > This is _a_ cheaper version of the same thing from blackbox but still
> > too expensive.
> > http://www.blackbox.com.au/specials/special_offers_more.asp?offersID=25
> > but I'm 99.9% sure that if you rang them and asked they would have one
> > for under $100 bucks easy...
>
> I rang and spoke with a tech who didn't think they had anything that
> would do the job. The best they had was the KVM over IP stuff which
> isn't what I want, unless it a) has VNC capabilities and b) is quite
> cheap.

As was previously mentioned, in the grossly-over-budget category there
are IP KVMs.  I recently purchased one of these at work:

http://www.altusen.com/solution_home/KN9116/KN9116_DM.htm

It's just a semi-typical KVM over IP unit, but it actually
_works_flawlessly_ with Linux, and has nice features like a detachable
front panel and 16 Window multi-view.

There are many other similar solutions, but they either do not support
Linux and only use an ActiveX client (Cyclades, Comsol,  etc.), or they
claim to support Linux and are insanely unstable.  (The Aten CN-6000
unit is one such unstable unit).

The KN9116 unit has a Java thin client for Linux (around 200KB) that
gets custom packaged and downloaded each time you login to the unit via
its webpage (so it's very secure and you don't have to install anything,
login twice or enter IPs etc.)  It's even smart enough to know when
you've setup ssh tunnels, to package the .jar with 'localhost' as the
hostname :)

So if it's Linux support you want in an IP-KVM, I can highly recommend
the Altusen KN9116.

More on topic: ever since I got my first laptop I have always wanted to
utilise the LCD component separately for testing machines etc. Still
waiting for that feature :)

Ryan