[plug] Setting up a new firewall

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sat Jul 30 06:21:23 WST 2005

[..story explaining network setup deleted..]

This is my point exactly.

On the one hand you advocate one thing, on the other you write that
you're doing something else. From your perspective the separation is
obvious, but from the reader's perspective it isn't.

The problem is that your initial response to a person asking about
security includes discussion about not installing services on a
firewall, but then you add at the end that you're running all manner of
services.

Just to be clear here, I'm not questioning the quality of your answer,
but the method.

If we as a community are helping other users of Linux solve problems, we
need to be very cautious about how we explain things. This email and the
ones that preceded it will be stored in the archive. A future surfer
might find it and read: "Install IPCOP, DNS, DHCP and a VPN client." and
think that all is sweet. (For that future reader, that is not sweet,
unless you understand what is happening, read the message that precedes
this one before you do!)

The point is that it's only part of the story and while it's inside your
head, the reader doesn't get that part.

Now if you were to actually include a full description of your
particular circumstance, where you have decided that it's fine to run
those extra services on your firewall, then that's perfectly reasonable
and helpful as a response, but only giving the partial story to a novice
is not nearly as helpful.

And just to make sure, I'm not saying that what you wrote was rubbish,
I'm saying that you missed a bit and that bit was vital for your answer
to be complete.

Kindest regards,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..