[plug] [OT| growing VOIP -> POTS spam problem

simon simon at plumtek.com
Wed Jun 1 11:49:11 WST 2005

Milan Pospisil (pospim at gmail.com) wrote:

>   There are some individuals, however,  who actually enjoy a
> conversation with these pests.  As soon as the phone rings they would
> pick up the handset and abuse the living daylight out of the spammer.
> And boy, do they feel good about it...

They appear to be onto that too - my brother recently answered his phone in
order to be told via a prerecorded message that the phone call was in fact for
his answering machine not a real person, so thankyou and have a nice day...

I think the simplest method is best - I simply hang up as soon as I realise
its not one of my family or friends.

Its the same root problem as spam - the telemarketers/spammers MUST be getting
enough positive responses to make it worth their while. Perhaps rather than
'death to telemarketers' it should be 'death to people who buy stuff from
telemarketers'????/

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com