[plug] [OT| growing VOIP -> POTS spam problem

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 21:28:26 WST 2005

On 6/1/05, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:

>snip>
> Problem is they are not doing it to annoy you. They are doing it because
> they live in a developing nation and for them a job like this is a means
> of feeding themselves.

Many of these calls are actually local and spoken with Australian
accent, AFAIK.

> If you should be abusing the "living daylight" out of anyone it should
> be the people that run the cold-calling sweat shop instead of giving
> these people real jobs.

 Well, I do net get much involved here personally, because if I talk
to the spammer I would get probably agro and it is quite pointless
because for every one of these pests who quits his/her job there is
another one ready to take his/her place. On the other hand I would
find it rather difficult to prevent someone from telling them what
they actually think about their activity even if that turns into a
hobby.
 In the eyes of the legislators(and I do not have the complete
picture what has or has not been passed through the Parliament here)
both parties ie the perpetrator as well as the sponsor  have something
to answer for, albeit not necessarily on the same level. And I support
that view.