[plug] Device eth0 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring.

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 13:38:14 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 13:02 +1000, Rob Dunne wrote:
> Hi List,
>
>     I just upgraded a machine to fedora core 3 and am now getting
> the above message on boot and no ethernet connection.
>
> I have looked on the web and found
> "Well, the MAC address is designated in network hardware, so that should
> not have changed unless the device got physically fried or something. Do
> you have any other network devices that could have gotten switched
> around with eth0? Like eth0 is now eth1 or something?"
>

> as far as I know nothing should have changed.

Hi Rob,

There was all sorts of confusion created with ethernet devices when
upgrading kernels in the RH/FC line of Linux (other distros may also be
affected).  This may be your problem, especially if you have more than
one ethernet card or connection.  That is, between different versions
the order of allocation of devices changed, i.e., what was previously
eth0 became eth1 and vice-versa after upgrade.  Then, recently I believe
it may have even reversed again.

This info is assuming an upgrade path that was something like
RH9>FC1>FC3.  Making any of these jumps would see the eth addresses
change.  Caused all sorts of drama with the K12LTSP crowd who install on
a two-card ethernet setup.  They began with RH as their base distro and
progressively upgraded to FC and people began bleating loudly until the
issue was realised.

Maybe you are seeing that as your problem?

Regards, Gavin