[plug] Cheap and (not so) nasty NAS

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:54:56 WST 2005

> hooker at iinet.net.au wrote:
> > I don't see Linux mentioned anywhere on the page, so I guess it's a MickeySoft
> > only solution. Give me my 1Tb SATA RAID array with nfs/samba any day :)

You hopefully already know that you (probably[1]) can't use symlinks with samba.

<rant class="Microsoft Technology Bashing">
Symlinks with samba (or, more correctly, with SMB[1]) don't work. For
example, using apt-move to make an apt repostiory on the samba mount
won't work.

This is because apt-move requires symlinks - see
http://leinad-golb.blogspot.com/2005/05/life-1-why-not-to-use-microsloth-smb.html
 for my blog entry detailing how I tried (and failed) to use a samba
mount for just that purpose.
</rant>

Daniel

[1] It ought to be possible with CIFS, but I'm not quite sure how to,
or even if it is possible, to enable that under samba.
--
Neuronstorm: neuronstorm.sourceforge.net
The Neuronstorm Blog: leinad-golb.blogspot.com