[plug] ADSL stressed out?

Greg gmacham at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 9 21:26:05 WST 2005

Shannon Carver wrote:

> Just thought I'd add, that when I first signed up with Bigpond ADSL
> (Going back, a good 5 years ago now)  I often had a similar problem
> with my Alcatel Speedtouch.  Telstra described the problem as a full
> pipe, something shits itself, and needs to be reset to gain connection
> again.  It sounded like a load of shit to me, and at the end of my
> contract period, I swapped straight to Netspace, and was happy for
> long after, without the drop out problem.
>
> However, this could be a problem, affecting ADSL users on
> Speedtouch's?  Especially as I imagine a high load 512/512 connection
> may put a fair amount of stress on the old hardware... Naaaah :P
>

> Kai wrote:
>
>> Phillip wrote:
>>
>>> My adsl only cuts out with certain phonecalls, no idea why. Im
>>> guessing that signal strength varies throughout the day, and picking
>>> up the phone is just enough to trigger the adsl to cut off? This might
>>> not be the same reason your having though. And I don't even have a
>>> filter on the phones.

>> Are you using a cordless phone ? do you have a long extension cord on
>> your phone(s) ? do you have any devices that high initial surge
>> currents on them (like fluoro lights) near the ADSL line/phone line ?
>> no disrespect intended in the next question but is your ADSL filter
>> plugged into the wall the right way ?

the speedtouch are a great modem , it is unfortunate they do not have
any diagnostics available via the web inteface. But there is always
nubzalcatool  http://www.nubz.org/alcatool/Home.html  . This brilliant
piece of software turns the alcatel modem into a handy adsl test device
with graphical output  frequency  response. ( note some this only works
on some versions).

ps if  the filtering is correct you should see no difference to the
attentuation or signal to noise ratio when operating a handset.

Greg