[plug] Intelligent Boot loader? Any advice?

dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 11 23:10:41 WST 2005

Quoting dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au:

> Quoting "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au>:
>
>> grub gives an error message about {...} not found, press any key which
>> drops you back to the menu.  test by mistyping the boot file (kernel)
>> name ... as I did last night :(

<snip>

> Come to think of it I have a machine that used to have two hdd's.   It
> still has
> the Grub entry relating to the amputated disk.   Tomorrow night I'll boot the
> thing and deliberately try the now non-existent hdd.   Will report what
> happens
> for interest to the list!

As noted by Bill, above, the same happens for the amputated-disk case:

Booting blah.blah
root (hd 1,0)
Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
Press any key to ...

Sorry, doesn't advance the knowledge much except for confirming that damaged,
deleted and physically removed disks are treated symmetrically :-)
Denis