[plug] Intelligent Boot loader? Any advice?

dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 10 22:45:19 WST 2005

Quoting "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au>:

> grub gives an error message about {...} not found, press any key which
> drops you back to the menu.  test by mistyping the boot file (kernel)
> name ... as I did last night :(
>
> Partition mapping may be problematic though - I think grub may number
> its partitions on what it finds at boot, so a workaround may be
> necessary for this.

As noted by Bill, an error is reported.   This might be a useful source for
further info...
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_13.html
Check out "Errors reported by stage 2", specifically error 21.

Come to think of it I have a machine that used to have two hdd's.   It
still has
the Grub entry relating to the amputated disk.   Tomorrow night I'll boot the
thing and deliberately try the now non-existent hdd.   Will report what
happens
for interest to the list!

Cheers,
Denis