[plug] OT - Machine naming schemes

Evert van Dijk evert at silver-sword.net
Sun Jun 12 07:30:32 WST 2005

Matthew Lambie wrote:

>Evening all,
>
>A quick poll: What do people name their machines after? I saw the other
>day that there was a Dilbert network, and when I was at Vianet all the
>machines were named after dead rock stars. The SGI lab at Curtin used to
>have Star Trek names and at home I use GI Joe characters (I'm on
>Stormshadow now, and have Duke, Falcon, Lifeline, Destro - the shiny
>silver wizard, Snakeeyes, Dialtone - the Asterisk server, and others ;)
>
>Part two: What was your favourite Transformer character, that's not
>Prime or Jazz, we have them already. Or Prowl, because that's one of the
>new boxes. We have two more servers to name and we want short hosts if
>possible. While omegasupreme.thefrontiergroup.com.au might sound cool,
>It'll be a bitch to type all the time ;) I personally think Grimlock
>might be a winner.
>
>Enjoy your Saturday nights!

I generally name mine after ancient religeous Pantheons. Currently my
home network uses Egyptian Gods,
in the past I have used Greek, and Norse Gods too. Sometime in the
future I expect to use more obsure ones Babylonian or Mayans etc

I have considered using Game Consoles but as a co-worker correctly
pointed out that senior management would question seriously why we would
have  an X-Box and Playstation in inventory. Also something about
Trademarks. Settled on melee weapons for that network instead.