[plug] Added functionality in FF

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 13 12:53:35 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 10:16 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 00:05 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 10:45 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 02:04 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
>
> - snip -
>
> > > Also, see that I pointed you to another extension that now puts the
> > > "close" button on each tab in firefox.  The extension to look for is
> > > "Tab Mix", which has a whole heap of other functions.  Generally, look
> > > at all the tabbed browsing extensions :-)
> >
> > Installed Tab Mix, but it sorta bites - it seems to have a problem with
> > Session Saver - but Tab X works just fine - thanks.
>
> Can you be specific?  I don't have any conflict between the two
> extensions.  Did your problem start after installing tab mix or after
> setting some options?

What part of "sorta bites" was unclear? ;-)

As for specifics, if I killed the browser with tabs open, and restarted
it, I'd get four tabs - tab 1 and 2, followed by 1 and 2 again.

This only happened AFTER installing Tab Mix, (I had Session Saver going
loon g before that), and went away after deleting Tab Mix. Tab X has
been installed and does what I want anyway.

> > You're right that FF is the place to be - just feel bad that the huge
> > amount of intelligent design that went into Galeon is being wasted.
>
> You got that right, sad to say!  IMO, galeon was streets ahead of all
> GUI browsers at one time, but recently I saw stats that show its use has
> dropped more than halved to something woeful like <10% while firefox has
> grabbed something like 70% of Linux desktops in the last couple of
> years.  I didn't double-check those figures, but they are something like
> that.  It would prove a really interesting computer science topic to
> examine what makes some FOSS projects rock and what makes others die,
> when both had near-equal potential at the start.

That would be an interesting project - should probably be done by
someone other than a hard scientist, though - get one of those
philosophy fellows to do something for a change. :-)

> > Have you found a way to share bookmarks? That'd make it easier to use
> > whichever on you wanted.
>
> Yeh, being able to do that was what got me using firefox initially.  In
> mozilla>

> it's really that simple.  You can also use similar, but reverse steps to
> send from firefox to galeon.

I was thinking of dynamic sharing, not just one-time copying.