[plug] Spamassassin + procmail

peregrin2 at westnet.com.au peregrin2 at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 13 13:58:07 WST 2005

Hi all,

I have been asked to install an aggressive spamassassin(SA) setup for a
site with about 10 email users. SA is tagging mail correctly and bayes is
working.

What they also asked is for spam to be automatically deleted. Realising
this is a bad idea I am instead just trying to move it into a folder.
What i don't understand is, when the MTA passes an email to SA, does SA
look for a /etc/procmailrc or $home/.procmailrc or does SA just do its
checking and pass the mail back to the MTA? Does spamc get involved here
somewhere? SA runs as the user myspam.

I have the standard procmail script that came with the SA docs working so
that if spam is sent to the myspam user the spam is passes to sa-learn
then moved into the spam folder. Can anyone give me pointers to set this
up sitewide?

Procmail script;
---- start ----

#Uncomment the following lines and use tail -f procmail.log to debug
LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

:0
* ^To:.myspam at mydomain

   {
   * < 256000
   :0c: spamassassin.spamlock
   | sa-learn --spam

   :0: spamassassin.filelock
   spam
   }

# Send all other mail through SpamAssassin

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamassassin

# Move spam to spam folder if spam-level is greater than 9
:0: spamassassin.filelock2
#/dev/null
almost-certainly-spam
# For anyone actually reading this far what does the above line do?
# I assumed it would store the spam in a file called
# "almost-certainly-spam", but instead "spam" is used.

Thanks

Nigel