[plug] Spamassassin + procmail

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 13 16:47:31 WST 2005

Hi;

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 peregrin2 at westnet.com.au wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been asked to install an aggressive spamassassin(SA) setup for a
> site with about 10 email users. SA is tagging mail correctly and bayes is
> working.
>
> What they also asked is for spam to be automatically deleted. Realising
> this is a bad idea I am instead just trying to move it into a folder.
> What i don't understand is, when the MTA passes an email to SA, does SA
> look for a /etc/procmailrc or $home/.procmailrc or does SA just do its
> checking and pass the mail back to the MTA? Does spamc get involved here
> somewhere? SA runs as the user myspam.

Spamassassin does not know anything about procmail so it will never look
for .procmailrc. Procmail may know about spamassassin though. In the
example you are using below the MTA is passing the mail to procmail -
presumably by looking at $HOME/.forward.

> I have the standard procmail script that came with the SA docs working so
> that if spam is sent to the myspam user the spam is passes to sa-learn
> then moved into the spam folder. Can anyone give me pointers to set this
> up sitewide?

Which MTA are you using?

> Procmail script;
> ---- start ----
>
> #Uncomment the following lines and use tail -f procmail.log to debug
> LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
> VERBOSE=yes
> LOGABSTRACT=all
>
> :0
> * ^To:.myspam at mydomain
>
>    {
>    * < 256000
>    :0c: spamassassin.spamlock
>    | sa-learn --spam
>
>    :0: spamassassin.filelock
>    spam
>    }
>
> # Send all other mail through SpamAssassin
>
> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> * < 256000
> | spamassassin
>
> # Move spam to spam folder if spam-level is greater than 9
> :0: spamassassin.filelock2
> #/dev/null
> almost-certainly-spam
> # For anyone actually reading this far what does the above line do?
> # I assumed it would store the spam in a file called
> # "almost-certainly-spam", but instead "spam" is used.

> Thanks
>
> Nigel

Peter F Bradshaw, personal.exadios.com, ICQ 75431157 (exadios).
PGP public key at personal.exadios.com/public_key.html
"Needs more salt" - Archimedes