[plug] IT Overhaul

dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 14 22:30:03 WST 2005

Quoting Chris Watt <something.rotten at gmail.com>:

> Sorry to bug the list daily but we're in the process of an it overhaul
> here.  I had trouble explainging this so i've point formed it.  I need
> some help working this out so i can write up a schematyic and also so
> i know what software i need, how to configure the client pc's, etc.

Hello Chris.

You'll get more full-fledged replies I'm sure but here is a first pass
at it...

> ? Linux Server.
> ? Client PC's ? WinXP
> ? Each user will have a username and password.  Want them to be able
> to log into the computer, but instead of seeing their local C:/My
> Docs, We want them to see their My Docs on the server and wrok from
> and save to that file.

Sounds ideal for SAMBA (www.samba.org)   Lots of documentation, HOWTO's and
tutorials that will walk you through the setups on the SAMBA site and the 'net
generally.   You may have to include ACLs (Access Control List) patches
in your
kernel (I'm an old 2.4 series diehard so the 2.6 series may have this
already.)
   Not sure if SAMBA will allow full joining to an existing Windows Server
environment yet.   If this is a factor for you, or may be, check it out first
to avoid heartache later.

> ? Also have common docs folders that all users will be able to access
> with all the common things.

As above, I suspect you'll need ACLs if you plan on any fancy groupings, etc.

> ? We have a few FoxPro databases as well.  If I keep the files from
> those databases on the server and FoxPro on each computer, will they
> be able to run without any problems.  These folders would also be set
> so only certain people may access them.

As above, ACLs.   Also you might want to think about file locking to prevent
collisions on simultaneous access.   SAMBA will help there.

> ? Want to share a Minolta Copier/Print/Fax as well on the server for
> each computer plus the one colour inkjet.

CUPS is your friend.  The all-in-one speaks TCP of course?   Not sure
about fax
software but others will help for sure :-)

> ? This server will serve a wireless connection for the office pc's.
> ? The server needs to be locked from the outside world.  Can I simply
> do this with a firewall on the server and to set the wireless
> connection so it doesn't broadcast, only connectable by computers with
> the details?

Pass on the wireless as have not done it yet myself.   But you'll be using NAT
(network address translation) in the server and having the wired PCs on one
subnet, the wireless-connecteds on another, right?   Check out iptables,
ipchains and docs from firewall distros such as smoothwall tomget some ideas.

> ? Any other ideas on how to streamline things a little?

Documentation!   The more the better as I find it helps enormously
during and at
the end of a project.   Button down your users to their expectations otherwise
they'll sure as eggs be wanting next week's Lotto numbers when that
wasn't part
of the spec.   Email facilities?   UPS?   I use NUT (Network UPS Toolkit) and
it is brilliant.   BAckups... Amanda perhaps?   Antiviral?   Antispam?

Oh, Windows XP notoriously sets up new users as having admin rights.   You
should be able to deal with this in a login script or otherwise set a
policy to
forbid user's having excessive local machine rights.

Hope this helps,
Denis