[plug] IT Overhaul

Chris Watt something.rotten at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:22:22 WST 2005

Sorry to bug the list daily but we're in the process of an it overhaul
here.  I had trouble explainging this so i've point formed it.  I need
some help working this out so i can write up a schematyic and also so
i know what software i need, how to configure the client pc's, etc.

¡Æ Linux Server.
¡Æ Client PC's ¨C WinXP
¡Æ Each user will have a username and password.  Want them to be able
to log into the computer, but instead of seeing their local C:/My
Docs, We want them to see their My Docs on the server and wrok from
and save to that file.
¡Æ Also have common docs folders that all users will be able to access
with all the common things.
¡Æ We have a few FoxPro databases as well.  If I keep the files from
those databases on the server and FoxPro on each computer, will they
be able to run without any problems.  These folders would also be set
so only certain people may access them.
¡Æ Want to share a Minolta Copier/Print/Fax as well on the server for
each computer plus the one colour inkjet.
¡Æ This server will serve a wireless connection for the office pc's.
¡Æ The server needs to be locked from the outside world.  Can I simply
do this with a firewall on the server and to set the wireless
connection so it doesn't broadcast, only connectable by computers with
the details?
¡Æ Any other ideas on how to streamline things a little?

cheers
Chris