[plug] IT Overhaul

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 14 22:56:56 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 22:47 +0800, Chris Watt wrote:
> sorry to split this in two:
>
> Are there any docs I can read about setting up the user logging in
> system?  either for Samba or for a Win Server.  As much as I'd rather
> do this on linux, if it's going to be easier and more effective to use
> a windows server then I'll work around that, it won't be on the
> internet so perhaps I can pull a little stability from her.

It should probably be much of a muchness. Windows is almost certainly
easier to get going, but may be harder to maintain. I find the NT4 at
work painless, but then it does *nothing* but file serving and domain
authentication, and most of the file services have been migrated to
Samba now too.

The user "experience" will be the same for a Windows server and for
Samba.

The documentation for Samba is pretty good, and I'd recommend that you
start there. http://www.samba.org/ , see the left hand menu.
Alternately, just install it and start from there.

If you're looking for something turnkey, folks like SuSE and (IIRC) our
local friendly LinuxIT will be happy to sell you one.

> Also need a couple VPN's, if I use a win server how is this done?

No idea. Buy some sort of VPN product, I expect. Depends on what sort of
VPN you need, too.

You might find SSL Explorer interesting when it comes to "application
level" VPNs ("SSL VPN"). I haven't tried it, but have heard good things
about it:
	http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do?referrer=sslexplorer

--
Craig Ringer