[plug] IT Overhaul

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Wed Jun 15 00:07:31 WST 2005

For pretty much all of the above, you can try:-
SME Server (http://www.contribs.org or http://smserver.sourceforge.net)
Or
ClarkConnect (http://www.clarkconnect.org/index.php)

Both do Samba domains, VPN, modem/ADSL sharing, printer sharing, backup to file and/or tape, and with the free (mostly) contributions you can get virus checking, spam filtering and all the rest of the buzzwords managers like to see.

Samba domains and roaming profiles mean their desktop/my docs/user settings backup to the server when they log off, and as a side effect, when you install an upgraded PC or move them to a different PC, a large amount of their settings will just copy across as well (as long as the program itself is installed on the new/other machine as well.

Personally, I like SME Server. Nothing like moving jobs and getting a phone call a year later requiring a reboot cos the old employees have moved on and no-one passed on the admin password :P The receptionists did all the user admin, and the box hadn't rebooted since well before I left (using a UPS)

That brought a tear to my eye, seeing the uptime go on that one :)

Just double check the linux compatability of the Minolta model you have. *Some* Minoltas have a funny quasi-GDI printing system which is most definately a headache for a linux server-based group.

Craig Foster
RedHat Certified Engineer
craig at fostware.net
(S/MIME Available)