[plug] IT Overhaul

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 14 22:39:52 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 21:22 +0800, Chris Watt wrote:
> Sorry to bug the list daily but we're in the process of an it overhaul
> here.  I had trouble explainging this so i've point formed it.  I need
> some help working this out so i can write up a schematyic and also so
> i know what software i need, how to configure the client pc's, etc.
>

> ∑ Linux Server.
> ∑ Client PC's C WinXP
> ∑ Each user will have a username and password.  Want them to be able
> to log into the computer, but instead of seeing their local C:/My
> Docs, We want them to see their My Docs on the server and wrok from
> and save to that file.

You can use an NT domain for that. That way, not only their my docs
folder but their settings etc are all on the server.

Samba can apparently act as the domain controller on an NT domain. I
never had much luck with it personally, but I was using a much older
version of Samba (I still use NT4 for the job).

Using a domain will also make XP behave much better on a network, and
will give you much more control over user's privileges. On a new Windows
network, I'd consider it the only sane way to do things. Note that an NT
domain is entirely different to a "DNS" domain, though with Active
Directory an NT domain is often /also/ a DNS domain.

> ∑ Also have common docs folders that all users will be able to access
> with all the common things.

Again, Samba can manage that quite nicely. Just give access to a given
folder to a given group or to guest users.

> ∑ We have a few FoxPro databases as well.  If I keep the files from
> those databases on the server and FoxPro on each computer, will they
> be able to run without any problems.  These folders would also be set
> so only certain people may access them.

You'll need to check the FoxPro docs for that. If it can safely use a
file on a file server in shared read/write mode, then probably. Be aware
that with more than a couple of users with many apps/databases this is
often EXTREMELY slow due to crappy locking and high lock contention.

> ∑ Want to share a Minolta Copier/Print/Fax as well on the server for
> each computer plus the one colour inkjet.

Samba does this very well if you have the printer talking to CUPS. Do
make sure the printer has good support in CUPS / gimp-print / gutenprint
though, and if possible try to get PostScript windows drivers. Don't
even *try* with client-side drivers on XP, though. You must install the
Windows drivers on the server using a WinXP client with "printer admin"
privileges. I'll provide details if you have trouble. The main thing to
remember is that the printer admin must be defined at the top level of
the config file, not under a printer share, to be able to install
drivers.

> ∑ This server will serve a wireless connection for the office pc's.

Should be no issue - just a bit of iptables, or you can just bridge them
if you're feeling especially un-paranoid.

> ∑ The server needs to be locked from the outside world.  Can I simply
> do this with a firewall on the server and to set the wireless
> connection so it doesn't broadcast, only connectable by computers with
> the details?

And enable some kind of encryption on the wireless, plus MAC address
locking if practical. A firewall should do fine for the 'net connection.

--
Craig Ringer