[plug] vim colorscheme for colour blind people?

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 16 09:39:25 WST 2005

I think colour blindness can be highly individual so you may need to
come up with your own scheme.  I use the light yellow background and
find some colours almost useless on it, but its generally easier on the
eyes. There is a file on most unix/linux systems that gives colour names
to rgb mapping (called of all things, rgb.txt).  Another useful tool is
to search the web for "web safe pallets" and experiment with what works
for you.

My exposure to this was a researcher who needed to look at images that
are traditionally shades of green and red - the two colours that cause
the most problems.  The software allowed the pallet to be remapped, but
his case was so bad we ended up using shades of grey!  google for colour
blindness and there are a number site that show the traditional blot
images so you can get an idea yourself if it affects  you (/disclaimer,
see an optometrist etc before accepting such things as gospel ...)

~ 15% (figures vary) of the (mostly) male population are colour blind to
some degree.  The traffic light problem comes up occasionally, but that
is one of the reasons the lights are spatially separated (try doing that
in a terminal!)

There are some jobs where colour blindness is a severe handicap: think
electricians with red/black wires, electronics and colour coded
components, painters (I was tested many years back and had to pass
before I was taken on as an apprentice) etc.

BillK