[PLUG] IDE expansion cards for linux software RAID?

Adrian Woodley Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org
Thu Jun 16 22:56:22 WST 2005

Ari Finander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My GA-7VRXP rev-2 motherboard recently died and I need to find an alternative for my 4 IDE disk (2x80GB RAID1 + 2x120GB RADI1) RAID array that was running using the Promise controller on the motherboard (separate boot drive for /).
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 3 (soon Fedora Core 4) and I plan on using two expansion cards (one drive per IDE channel on the cards is safer, that way if a drive fails it won't cause a problem with the data like it can in a master/slave configuration).
>
> My problem is that I don't know which cards to buy. I've seen a bunch of cheap Silicon Image 0680 and ITE 8212/8212F based cards, but when researching these it seems that a lot of people have problems using these with linux.

I fought with a Silicon Image PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 for a good 12 hours,
including BIOS updates to the motherboard and the controller. I ended up
solving the problem by moving the card to another pci slot. Since then
its been going fine. It runs two of the disks in a 3+1 RAID5 array.