[PLUG] IDE expansion cards for linux software RAID?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 16 23:29:51 WST 2005

Adrian Woodley wrote:

> I fought with a Silicon Image PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 for a good 12 hours,
> including BIOS updates to the motherboard and the controller. I ended up
> solving the problem by moving the card to another pci slot. Since then
> its been going fine. It runs two of the disks in a 3+1 RAID5 array.

I have one of these in a machine at home.  It works well.  The BIOS is
crummy but that's largely a non-issue once Linux is booted; it does
delay the boot time by a good 30 seconds or so, looking for drives and
not always finding them.  The Linux driver used to have some interrupt
issues under heavy load, but I haven't noticed any problems in recent
kernels.

Cameron.