[plug] [OT] ITE 8212 XP Preinstallation disk (GA-8KNXP)

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 21 13:18:12 WST 2005

Hi Arie,

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:13:27 +0800
"Arie Hol" <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> > --- Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the off topic post.
> > >
> > > I have been asked to reinstall an XP machine with onboard raid.
> > > The problem is that the client does not have the original disks.
>
> 8<-------------- snip ------------------->8
>
> > > I have been to the Gigabyte website and it seems the .exe file
> > > there is
> > > corrupted. I am in the middle of my third email to gigabyte trying
> > > to sort this out and thought maybe someone here might be able to
> > > help (could be quicker here!).
> > >
> > > This is the motherboard support link, for those interested.
> > >
> > http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8KNXP%20(Rev%202.x).htm
> > >

> I too have been to the website - did you copy the downloaded file to a
> floppy disk first, then try  to access the file from the floppy during
> the XP setup process - I think you will find that it will  work if you
> follow the instructions from the web site.

Ummm.. Errr... There were instructions for this.. *looks sheepish*

> ie :
>
> Intel ICH5R /ICH6R /ICH7R
> (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from
> floppy)
Ahh That bit. No I didn't try copying the file directly to a floppy
disk. In my experience XP expects to find a txtsetup.oem file on the
disk which tells it what to expect in the way of drivers etc. I will try
this though out of curiosity and tell you how it goes. I am not
confident that XP is intelligent enough to see an "archive" on these
driver disks, I believe that it requires a set of files.

As well as this I am pretty sure the self extracting part of the archive
has been damaged. Andy suggested using winrar, and this was indeed able
to open the archive and extract the contents for me (an Arj file -
which I was further able to extract..)

Thanks again,

Regards,

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services
Email: byteme-its at westnet.com.au

*Must think outside the box.. Must think outside the box*