[plug] Suse 9.2 2 nics

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Jun 24 14:43:00 WST 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:30:04PM +0800, doodli wrote:
> Can 2 nics work at the same time in a Suse setup??
> Have 3 Computers and trying to get all talking but no go. Only one of
> the two nics seems to work. Is there a way to get both working at the
> same time?

Two NICs should work fine, but not on the same network.  What's
probably happening when you ping 192.168.0.3 from 192.168.0.4, the
reply to 192.168.0.4 goes back out the first route to the local
network, which is eth0 (192.168.0.3), so the reply is seen.  If you
ping 192.168.0.1, the ping is received on eth1, and the reply goes out
on eth0, being (again) the first route to the network, with a source
address of 192.168.0.3, so the pinger doesn't see that packet as a
reply to its ping.  (PS I haven't tried this, it's just what I _think_
would happen.)

Run ethereal (or tethereal since you don't need to see inside the
packets) to confirm this.

Or, "ifdown eth0" and then ping 192.168.0.4 from .0.1 and see if it
works then.

You could fudge the two nics on the one network with different
netmasks and broadcast addresses, but each would only directly see
half of the subnet.

(Incidentally, you should troubleshoot this using only IP addresses,
not host names, to isolate the network from name lookups.)

Why do you want two interfaces on one network?

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Somehow, the world always affects you more than you affect it.