[plug] scanner problem

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Jun 28 14:28:03 WST 2005

monts at westnet.com.au wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up a friends computer with debian sarge and I've got a
> problem in getting xsane to pick up the usb scanner. I can find the
> scanner properly when root, but the local user can't see it.
>
> Had a bit of a look on google but didn't find anything straight away.
> Has anyone dealt with a similar problem in the past and know what to
> do?

Haha!! One I can answer.
Add your user to the scanner group and you are sweet!

Just did exactly that the other day with my new Canon LiDE-20 (which is a neato little scanner)

On the other side of the chain, I just picked up a Hp Laserjet 2550 colour. Neat little unit and
does good prints of scanned photos blown up to A4. It's only about 600 DPI, but adequate.

Brad