[plug] 64-bit notebooks

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 30 09:59:56 WST 2005

"Randal Adamson" <ranz at devdata.net> writes:

>I am about to upgrade my notebook and was after some feedback about
>64-bit notebooks.

>Is it worth waiting for the Apple G5 Powerbook?

Waiting for the next-best thing results in interminable waiting.

>Are the Athlon 64 Mobile  notebooks any good for running SuSe64?

Yes. ASUS works fine. Main issues are with builtin winmodems and
some WiFi chipsets for which manufacturers aren't releasing specs or
kernel modules. Avoid Broadcom WiFi.

>Has anyone got one and wants to say whether they are worth all the
>fuss vs 32-bit Intel Centrino ones?

The main limitation to laptop speed is the hard disk. If you have
lots of RAM, then the 64-bit CPU has a clear advantage in
memory- and CPU-intensive tasks. If you're waiting for the hard
disk, things slow to Z80-speed.