[plug] 64-bit notebooks

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 30 10:41:39 WST 2005

Russell Steicke wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:16:07AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > The Pentium M ("Centrino") is easily the most energy efficient x86 CPU
> > and the Intel wireless and graphics chipsets are very well supported
> > under Linux.
>
> When did this change?  Last I heard, linux users should avoid Centrino
> as it was undocumented and without wireless drivers.  Did Intel have a
> change of heart?

When I bought my laptop about a year ago, the (Intel-written, open
source) drivers for my laptop had just about reached the 'usable'
stage.  They still require proprietary firmware to be uploaded into
the card, but Intel provide these for download for Linux users (under
a non-free but zero cost licence).  The newer ipw2200 (54Mbit 802.11g
wireless card) had open source drivers in a working state a couple of
months after it become available.

Cameron.