[plug] Making the internet work on Debian

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 21:24:54 WST 2005

sounds like /etc/resolv.conf to me
maybe this is still a problem? (or was that a different machine?)
try updating that, and check if bind/dns server running if thats
running on this machine (I seem to remember that IP from a previous
post).

If you are concerned its bind (could be a config issue) try:

scorpion:~# /etc/init.d/bind9 restart

(to restart bind9 substitute bind if bind 8 or sub. whatever dns
server you are using)

scorpion:~# tail /var/log/daemon.log

(will show you output from the daemon, and give you some idea of what
is going wrong)
If Bind was the problem, and it starts normally you will need to add a
symlink to it for startup scripts. (I seem to remember a debian
package called rcconf or similar, or just simlink dns servername to
/etc/rc2.d ie scorpion:/etc/rc2.d# ln -s ../init.d/bind9 S15bind9)

make sure bind is in /etc/host.conf

make sure /etc/resolv.conf has correct name servers.

let us know after testing these.