[plug] Linux on Macintosh 8500/120

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Mar 2 12:52:47 WST 2005

Gavin Rogers wrote:

> Thanks for that. Yeah, the 8500/120 is a PCI based machine. I'm not keen
> enough to be putting Linux on an old Nubus based machine :-)
>
> The reason I ask is because the machine has pretty good (for its age)
> video input/output capabilities and I'd really like to be able to use
> them without forking out for Mac OS software to do it.

To be honest I don't like your chances much.
I had linux on a IIsi, Centris 650 and pair of 7300's. The base system, graphics and networking was
pretty functional, but stuff specific to the individual machines (like sound input) was far less
likely to work.

Try it, it's dead easy to install from legacy MacOS. If you can get hold of an old SCSI drive to
swap in you have even less to lose :p)

Oh, and it takes about 8 days to compile a 2.2 kernel on a IIsi with 16MB ram.

Regards,
Brad