[plug] Linux on Macintosh 8500/120

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 2 14:35:53 WST 2005

At 02:26 PM 2/03/2005, Cameron Patrick wrote:
>Shayne O'Neill wrote:
>
> > I've found ubuntu (on the uwa server too I think) pure magic on the macs.

<snip>

>non-Mac OS bootloader just refused to work for me).  All of the bits
>you need to do that are available for free download, but getting it
>going was painful.  I started documenting the process briefly on a web
>site, but never got around to uploading it anywhere public ... well,
>it's now at http://cp.yi.org/cameron/powermac_debian.html (very
>sketchy, but hopefully useful).

Thanks, Cameron.

Nice timing :-)   We're in the midst of a cleanout (as you know, on this
list!!) and one of the items is a MAC clone (180MHz 604 cpu, AV style SCSI
drives) with some video capture stuff.   No-one wants it so rather than TIO
my colleague thought to try Yellow Dog on it.   Nope.   So we'll maybe have
a look at Debian and your tips.

Denis