[plug] Converting mbox to maildir in a Debian 'testing' exim4 + dovecot enviroment

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Sat Mar 5 19:01:46 WST 2005

Hi ya all,

Hope your weekends are all going well and those who got a new monitor
courtesy of Computer Angels are enjoying their new screen estate.

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on converting mbox
style folders to maildir folders in a Debian exim4 + dovecot
environment. Originally I had a woody exim + cyrus IMAP setup which used
maildir style folders and was quite fast. Over the christmas period I
converted the box to a sarge exim4 + dovecot (due to its easy to
install) and noticed that all my mail is now in mbox format. As a result
IMAP performance has taken a hit and I don't think I am giving dovecot's
indexing a fair go.

I know if I add the following to /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf it
will enable maildir support :-

	dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

but how do I go about converting the existing mail?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Michael Hunt