[plug] Auto hibernate when machine has been idle for 30 minutes

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Mar 6 22:27:05 WST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:21:20PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi, I've just got software suspend 2 (hibernate to disk) to working with
> gentoo's 2.6.11 dev kernel.

Good to hear :)

> X was the last major item, which by sacrificing the nvidia drivers for
> xorgs nv driver seems to work now.

Perhaps this is worth a try? :
http://lists.suspend2.net/lurker/message/20050305.235444.35c321c7.en.html

> For my next act, Id like to sense when the machine has been idle for 30
> mins and auto hibernate if so.  Are there any apps out there to do this?
> Perhaps sense some combination of load and xscreensaver?  Suggestions
> welcome.

Debian has a package called xautolock. Gentoo probably has something
similar:

 Xautolock monitors input devices under the X Window System, and launches a
 program of your choice if there is no activity after a user-configurable
 period of time.  You can use this to automatically start up a screen locker
 if you have left your computer unattended for some period of time.  The
 program launched need not be a screen locker such as xlock.

> After this I will be looking at waking it up via the network ...

Some combination of "PowerdownMethod 4" in hibernate.conf, and
"grep -q '^ELAN.*disabled' /proc/acpi/wakeup && echo ELAN > /proc/acpi/wakeup"
should do the trick (depending on hardware).

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>