[plug] fsck

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 7 11:31:00 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 10:29 +0800, Greg wrote:
> Hi people
>
> I was putting the finishing touches on an install last night, when i
> noticed my rrdtools graphs were displaying the worong date. no probs I
> entered bios and altered the clock.

You don't need to do that. You can set the clock with a GUI too, `date',
`rdate', or (IMHO preferable) `ntpdate' then sync the clock with
'hwclock --systohc'.

Having to reboot to set the system clock would suck :-(

> after a restart the system would not
> boot .I ran a rescue disk and ran lilo again and it booted. I wouldnt
> mind running a fsck on the drive but the disk Im using seems to only
> support ext2. Any ideas how I may check and repair the drive? woody
> 2.4.18 btw

I think others have answered this question pretty well, but I'll give a
few extra points. First, If you're using ext3 for your filesystems,
e2fsck should be fine. Alternately, you could grab a more generally
useful rescue CD like SystemRescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/)

--
Craig Ringer