[plug] New Linux Raid-6 Box

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Mar 7 15:25:20 WST 2005

Craig Foster wrote:

> Asus with VIA - I thought they were kinda slow with I/O, especially under
> linux...

Yep, they are bloody awful.
Having said that, I was after a board I *knew* was going to be rock solid, had to have PXE capable
Gig-E on-board with good linux driver support and at the right price.
Not having had any experience with the nForce based boards, and not finding any older AMD chipset
boards with Gig-E, I went with what I knew.

I'm thinking about grabbing something a little newer and testing it out, but I have two of these
boards, one in each server and they are just rock solid. A little slow on the PCI bus however.
And the price was right. I did not have the budget in this box to go with a later model processor,
and I have a religious aversion to Intel.