[plug] Logitech cordless keyboard causing kwin lockups?

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Mon Mar 7 23:53:31 WST 2005

Thanks for buzzing in, garry.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:27, garry wrote:
> When a k/b input is made, it gives a computer interupt. If you get
> spurious interupts, the show slows down...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a keypress is normally registered as key
down, key up. In other words, the repetition of characters from a key
being held down is a function of the software, not the hardware
broadcasting the same key code multiple times.

So for keyboard input to generate interrupts at such a rate so as to
slow the system to a complete freeze, the receiver would somehow need
to generate a massive amount of bogus keystrokes. I should say also
that it is not a slowdown but an immediate freeze, and pulling the
receiver does not appear to resolve the problem, even after a
considerable wait.

> Your problem MAY be a marginal battery [replace with new],

I've seen this lead to key repetitions without leading to lockups
though, and the repetitions tend to stop if one moves the keyboard
closer to the receiver and presses the key again, apparently confirming
that a missed key release transmission does not cause further
interrupts.

> or the k/b may have a sticky key.

Not likely. As much typing as I do, I would have noticed that sooner, I
think. Besides, when it happened today, I was only using the mouse. If
anything is wrong on the transmitting side, I'm more suspicious of the
mouse. My bad for not mentioning this.

> Or maybe the receiver is dodgy [I'd guess less
> likely] causing extra k/b inputs...

I'm actually not sure I'm ready to rule that out. It doesn't make sense
to me from a computer design point of view to be sending events to
merely confirm--as opposed to switch--an already known binary state, so
the keyboard seems an unlikely culprit. I'm not as sure about the
protocol of the mouse, but again, it would seem illogical for a lack of
transmission to cause more events rather than less.

Could it be that the receiver is being subjected to some kind of
interference? This is the non-encrypted radio variety, if that makes
any difference.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/