[plug] Sound on Sun Blade 100

Walter HILL regfrem at connect.net.au
Wed Mar 9 11:01:37 WST 2005

Hello All,

I am trying to get sound happening on my Sun Blade 100. I'm running Gentoo.

Linux apollo 2.4.29-sparc #1 SMP Fri Feb 25 10:49:31 WST 2005 sparc64
sun4u TI UltraSparc IIe (Hummingbird) GNU/Linux

lspci reveals.

0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI
AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 01)

After lots of Googling I have the following modules loaded. trident.o is
suggested for the onboard sound.

smbfs                  56880   0  (unused)
parport_pc             28200   1  (autoclean)
lp                      8920   0  (autoclean)
parport                34304   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
openpromfs             13784   1  (autoclean)
trident                38776   2
ac97_codec             17208   0  [trident]
soundcore               4836   2  [trident]

Having done all of this I'm unable to hear anything. Whilst playing a CD
the track information is retrieved and it appears to be playing but
nothing is coming out of the internal speaker or the speaker socket -
yes I checked the volume controls. It also "appears" to play mp3 except
all I get is a loud noise which isn't controlled by the volume knobs.
Now ordinarily I'd give up but before trying Gentoo I installed Aurora
1.0 & the sound worked fine. I abandoned Aurora because it kept failing
whilst trying to upgrade to 1.92. Plus I like the idea of Gentroo and
starting from a clean box.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

TIA